The name Château Duplessy comes from a family who settled in the Bordelais in the 16th century and were members of parliament.
One of the members of the Duplessy family gained special notoriety,
which is clearly recorded in the registers of Bordeaux. In 1570 a B.
Duplessy returned home unexpectedly to find his wife in a compromising
with an army officer named Hayrade. B. Duplessy killed both of them with
his sword. In order to maintain his freedom , Duplessy made a generous
gift to the Court of Bordeaux and asked the forgiveness of the king and
God. His petitions were honored with his freedom and the return of his
wealth and titles. He died in 1583.
The Duplessy family owned the manor house of “ Porges ” and a farmhouse in the village of Cénac, near Bordeaux.
In the middle of the 17th century , the old farmhouse was replaced by a new buiding, the Château Duplessy, which consisted of 2 parallel rectangular buildings joined at one end by a corridor with a door at the center facing the courtyard. It is surmised that during the 19th century , a 2-story tower was added at the center of the corridor and the resulting building is what we see today. It is interesting to note that the tower addition was covered with the “ very modern ” gray slate roofing material.
It is documented that in 1679, Château Duplessy belonged to Jean Baron, a lawyer in the Congress Court of Bordeaux. He lost the Château in a lawsuit on July 1, 1700 to Pierre Roche who was also a Congress Court lawyer. In 1728, he disposed of it to a merchant named Hilaire Lamalétie, whose family gained nobility in two generations. In 1771, one of Hilaire Lamalétie’s grandchildren married the philosopher Montesquieu’s grand-daughter, Mademoiselle de Guichaner.
In 1778, the house became the property of a prosperous shipowner and merchant, Arnaud Moulinié. When he died in 1813, his fortune was reduced because of the loss of his major export markets due to the Revolution and the politics of the French Empire. His children inherited Duplessy. Records indicate that one of Arnaud’s grandchildren , Elicio Moulinié, became the owner on August 18, 1844.
In February, 1877, Elicio Moulinié sold the house. After 10 years, the new owner, Eugène Larronde, a merchant from Bordeaux, disposed of the house to the company, Larronde Frères, who specialized in wine and spirits which was founded by his two sons. In 1906, the two partners sold Duplessy to another merchant from Bordeaux, Jean-Louis Maurice.